Sharing your wishes about your final days and your funeral is an intense experience. On top of that you often have to create a last will that describes your estate’s distribution. These all are in the heart of every good end of life plan. However, they usually come with fees and charges. Myend offers a completely free end-of-life alternative plan: an e-will.
What is an e-will?
An e-will is an electronic will. Essentially, it’s a document that lets you specify how you want your estate distributed after your death. You can use it to distribute everything from money to personal items. It’s also a great way to make sure that your loved ones are taken care of in the way that you want them to be.
How can you make an e-will?
The first step of creating an e-will is to decide where you want to store all of your digital assets. You can store them in a cloud service or on an external hard drive. Naturally, there are pros and cons to both options. If you choose a cloud service, there may be fees coming with storing your files online. Storing them on an external hard drive is free, but you could lose or damage them. Especially if you’re not using any encryption software.
Once you’ve decided where you want to keep all of your information, the next step is assembling it into a single document. This should include instructions for distributing all of your assets (both digital and physical). For instance:
- For which assets do you want to leave specific instructions?
- Who should receive what? The person receiving something through any estate plan is a beneficiary.
Why do you need an e-will?
The answer to this question is, at least partially, the same for any estate planning document: it makes your loved-ones life much, much easier and gives you a sense of control and security.
You, specifically, should have an e-will because it’s important to have clear instructions on how you’d like your digital assets handled after death. If you don’t have an e-will, the law will decide who gets control over your digital assets. This could be a person you don’t want to manage your online presence and/or financial affairs.
As we mentioned above, an e-will is a digital version of a traditional will. It also lets you store all of your information securely online and access it from anywhere in the world. However, making your own e-will is a time and energy consuming task. Not to mentioned any fees that may come with DIY e-wills.
That’s where Myend comes to help you with a professional e-will. Our e-will is easy for anyone with basic computer skills. All you have to do is create an account on our site and upload some documents (like pictures of valuable items). After that you can add wishes for how your estate should be split up among family members or friends after your death. Of course these are not legally binding but are meant to be suggestions to your loved ones. It’s up to them and the probate court to come up with a specific plan.
You can have an e-will on any device – phone, tablet, or computer. This way it’s easy to access whenever you need it. And if something happens to your original copy of the document, there will always be another copy available online for you and your family members to access.
You’re here because you know by now that having an e-will is important. But maybe you’re not sure why.
The mission of Myend’s e-will is to make sure that you can easily share your wishes with your loved ones. It’s about protecting your family and making sure they get access to the information they need. As a result you’ll be allowing them to move on with their lives in a way that makes sense for them.
We believe that money should never be an obstacle between you and your legacy. That’s why we developed our e-will, to take the financial burden off you and your family. This way you can have peace of mind knowing you left them with your wishes.
Why should you choose Myend’s e-will?
The e-will we offer is a unique experience. All the following make it worth your time and attention:
- It’s completely free! The only thing you need to do is make an account and start exploring its features (see below).
- We designed our e-will to be user friendly. A focus on creating easy-to-use products lies in the heart of our services. With videos, instructions and tasks lists to guide you around, you’ll have no problem navigating the interface.
- You can access and update your e-will, anytime you want to, as many times as you want to.
- As we mentioned above, your e-will is available on all your devices (computer, tablet and phone) which makes it even more accessible!
- Templates VS e-will: Unlike other free templates you can download, myend’s e-will remembers your information. We, of course, have no access to your actual wishes. This way you can have an extremely easy time adding or deleting assets and updating your list of beneficiaries.
Tip: If you have created both an e-will and a last will with your Myend account they are going to share some of the same details. Myend’s Last Will is legally binding, unlike the e-will. In any case, it’s a good idea to make sure that the two documents are as similar as possible. This way you will avoid giving confusing instructions to your loved ones. Myend automatically helps you include all your assets but you should always have a clear overview of your belongings on both documents.
You can read more on the differences between an e-will and a last will here.
The three crucial elements present in Myend’s free e-will are the following features:
- Belongings: Adding a belonging has never been easier. Just simply add a new asset via the belongings menu. It’s then going to automatically be included to your e-will.
- Vault: Myend’s Vault is a way to keep all your passwords and references of your digital assets safe. Just like before, adding digital assets to your vault means that you’re also automatically adding them to your e-will. Simple as that!
- Beneficiaries: When you add a new belonging or digital asset, we will ask you to add a beneficiary as well. The easiest way is to add a new Contact that you can then manually select through the contacts menu. Once again, if you add your loved ones as contacts in advance, you can name them as beneficiaries within seconds.
E-wills are a great way to ensure that you’ve shared your for after you pass away. The best part about an e-will is that it’s easy and inexpensive to create. And Myend’s e-will is the best in that respect. Access your e-will anytime, from any device, anywhere in the world, completely free of charge, and share its new version with your loved ones after you’re done working on it.
Sign up today to create your own end of life plan in clear, simple and fast steps.